1.26.2009

think {GREEN} ... tip 1

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...and I think YOU can too!

There are plenty of things each of us can do to be more Green. As I mentioned in my post last week, I would really like to start using reusable bags at the market rather than the plastic ones, yet the day after I made a quick stop at the store, got what I needed, paid and realized as I was walking out the door that I had a plastic bag in my hand. It takes some preplanned thought and a true desire to do it.

Why even worry about it...well...
Worldwide, hundreds of billions of plastic bags are consumed each year. Less than 3% are recycled; the rest are clogging landfills, blowing down our streets and threatening wildlife. Because of their negative environmental impact, from manufacturing to disposal, many countries are banning or taxing plastic bag use (as much as 20 cents per bag!). As petroleum based products, the cost of plastic bags will continue to rise, being passed on to consumers. As tax payers, we are also bearing the staggering costs of clean up and disposal, estimated at 5.2 cents per bag. (except courtesy of http://www.bhappybags.com/about-us/)

So Blane and I tried harder the next time...over the weekend we bought the bag below for less than $4.00 and another store brand one for $.89. My plan is to purchase one bag with each trip. It's so easy...ther're usually right by the checkout counter. Eventually I'll have what I need! Then every time, I just need to put them back in the vehicle to be prepared for future trips...not that difficult really!!

Photobucket

Let me know what you are doing or are thinking about doing to preserve our planet for the future...remember EVERY LITTLE bit helps and maybe your idea will be my next "THINK GREEN" tip!!

1 comment:

  1. Sista~ I really appreciate your efforts to go green. This is something Billy and I have been doing for awhile. You're right...it is hard. But, when I do remember, I feel a lot better about getting groceries, etc. And, as an added bonus they hold a lot more than the plastic bags and keep the groceries in better condition. We have begun to keep 3-4 bags in each vehicle.

    ReplyDelete